Monday, April 24, 2006

The Natural

Blood is pulsing in my ears: ram, ram, ram,

Trinity is at home plate and is hit by a wild pitch which is way too fast for Little League Minors, -you heard it fffffffft toward Trinity's face, 'luckily' hitting his hand instead. “Part of the bat” the umpire yells, after lifting Trinity from the ground, checking for broken bones "Strike One" They couldn't let him take a base. Tears on his face, he’s given a choice to sit out, for an unshameful out, or get back into the batter's box. He flexes his hand, crying, looks back at me. I am clutching the chain link backstop. I want to scoop him up, take him home.

He connects to my sad eyes, and, why? gets back into the batter's box and, instead of cowering like me, swings like hell at two more pitches. He gimps back to the dugout, half-triumphant, chin still trembling, as both sides of the stands cheer loudly, on their feet, screaming whistles for the courage of the smallest kid on the field, pint-sized hero of the moment. This one will go down in history.

After the game, I sit him down, and while rubbing his hand, whisper something into his ear, something he may remember someday, for a story only he is able to tell...

1 comment:

Mercurial Dreams said...

Jim,
I must share with you a story of mine called "hit by pitch". I'll send it to you.

This brought tears to my eyes.